Restaurants and Inns Participating in the Locavore Challenge
Have you eaten out at a participating restaurant during the challenge? If you have ever tried to cook a totally local meal, you can appreciate the effort that these restaurants and inns are making to support the Locavore Challenge. Think of what you are going through to source local items that are in scarce supply and multiply that times 10 or maybe even 100 for a restaurant and you can imagine what a “challenge” this can be.
2009 Special Locavore Food Events
Restaurants – Mad River Valley
- American Flatbread Will again be offering two Locavore special flatbreads, an all local salad and a Locavore dessert over the Challenge weekend. The flatbreads will feature Locavore toppings over a crust incorporating a percentage of flour from local growers.
- Big Picture Theater Will be offering two Locavore specials each day, one vegetarian and one featuring meat, both for lunch and dinner. The Big Picture will also have local soup and/or a salad.
- The Common Man Will be offering a $20 two-course prix fixe dinner with a Daily Chef’s Locavore Appetizer and Buttermilk Fried Cavendish Quail.
- Gracie’s Tamales ( Saturdays at the Waitsfield Farmers Market and everyday at the East Warren Community Market) will feature two Locavore tamales or Locatamale as she is calling them. A vegetarian favorite will include poblano peppers with cheddar cheese and for those who love the more traditional tamale, slow simmered Pork. All of the fresh veggies and cheese will come right from the farmers’ market. The meat is from Snug Valley Farm and Misty Knoll.
- The Green Cup Bakery and Cafe Chef-owner Jason Gulisano will be offering a special Locavore main course, Sunday(13th), Monday(14th) and Saturday(19th)
- Michael’s Good to Go Will be offering both a veggie and meat eater Locavore special each meal (lunch and dinner) during the Challenge.
- Millbrook Inn and Restaurant Will be offering at least 2 entirely local menu items each night during the Challenge week.
- Three Mountain Cafe Offering a local breakfast pastry and an all local smoothie. In addition, Monument Farms whole and skim milk will be used (as always at the cafe) for lattes, cappuccinos, and cafe au laits and farm fresh eggs are used as well.
- Terra Rossa Ristorante Friday 9/18 & Saturday 9/19 we’ll be offering an entirely local salad, main entrée as well as locally sourced dessert Friday & Saturday night of the challenge. Come and enjoy one or all of these local delights
- Timbers Restaurant at Sugarbush Offering a 20% discount on Locavore dinners during the Challenge. Check out the regular menu for starred items that are all local options as well as daily Locavore specials.
- The Warren Store Will be offering an all local breakfast special every morning. Lunch time will provide additional Locavore specials and/or entrees in the case, along with soups and salads. They will also have Maple Wind Farm Pork for sale, plus locally raised, venison, chicken, local produce and cheeses.
Restaurants – Beyond the Mad River Valley
- The Skinny Pancake (Montpelier and Burlington) Restaurant co-owner Benjy Adler took the word “challenge” seriously and put his chefs to work creating an all local crepe that is made from Ben Gleason’s Whole Wheat Flour. The skinny pancake team exceeded even Benjy’s expectations and according to Benjy, “we love it! The flavor is great, the integrity of the pancake is great too!” And that is what the challenge is all about! Check out the Skinny Pancake website for the special crepe they will be serving during the challenge week.
- Juniper’s’ Fare (Waterbury) Offering a Locavore Lunch Special on Thursday and Friday and a Locavore Dinner on Friday. 9/17, Thursday Lunch 11-2; 9/18, Friday Lunch 11-2; 9/18, Friday Night Dinner 4-8 PM
- The Cider House (Waterbury) Offering a special Locavore Dinner on Thursday, Friday and Saturday (Sept 17-19).
Inns and B&Bs – Mad River Valley
- Beaver Pond Farm Bed and Breakfast will offer at least one wholly Locavore offering each day during the Challenge week.
- Lareau Farm Inn will be offering all local breakfast selections throughout the Challenge week. Breakfast selections throughout the challenge week will include Gaylord Farm eggs, build your own omelet with Lareau Farm veggies and Vermont cheeses, house made sausage with Vermont pork, Cabot cottage cheese pancakes with Mad River Valley blueberries & raspberries, Easty’s maple syrup, Locavore oatmeal with Lareau Farm apple sauté. Cold Hollow Cider,
- The Round Barn Inn will be offering their Inn guests a delicious two to three course local breakfast each day during the Challenge week.
- Wilder Farm Inn Join us for our Locavore Weekend September 18 & 19, 2009. We are known for featuring local & organic ingredients in our hearty country gourmet breakfasts, and this weekend will be a special treat for our guests as we cook using food raised & grown within 100 miles of the Mad River Valley. Enjoy the tenor of our B&B; laid-back, fun and friendly filled with interesting pieces and eclectically decorated rooms each with their own unique style.
- The Yellow Farmhouse Inn will offer at least one wholly Locavore offering each day during the Challenge week.