2009 Challenge Week Events
This year’s Eat Local Challenge runs from Sunday, September 13th thru Saturday, September 19th. We invite you to join us for a learning and culinary experience, whether it be for a meal, a day or the entire week. In addition to the events below, many restaurants in the Valley will be offering Locavore meals throughout the week.
Pre-Challenge Locavore Activities
- Sat, Sept 5th 9am to 1pm Waitsfield, VT – MRV Locavore Project Table at the Farmer’s Market – Information on the Challenge, heirloom tomato tasting, other food samples and pick up pre-ordered Locavore Starter Kits PLUS a FREE cooking demo.
- Thurs, Sept 10th 6:30 pm to 8:30pm Warren, VT – Locavore Baked Goods Social – Learn how to bake delicious homemade treats using local whole wheat flour. Click here to learn more. Space is limited/registration is required.
- Sat, Sept 12th 9am to 1pm Waitsfield, VT – MRV Locavore Project Table at the Farmer’s Market – Information on the Challenge, heirloom tomato tasting, other food samples and pick up pre-ordered Locavore Starter Kits PLUS a FREE cooking demo.
- Saturday, Sept 12th 11:00 pm to 6pm – Growing Local Festival in Montpelier – Benefit concert and local food celebration 11am to 5pm at the Vermont College of Fine Arts Green in Montpelier. Suggested donation $10 or $20 for a family. Donations support the creation of a garden in every Washington County School.
Challenge Week Locavore Activities
- Sunday, Sept 13th – First Day of the Challenge – Be sure to sign up and take the pledge!
- Sunday, Sept 13th 11:00 pm to 6pm – High Mowing Organic Seeds Field Days – The High Mowing sales staff will be on hand to give guided tours of over 700 vegetable, herb, and flower varieties that are being trialed as well as the all-new Showcase Garden that highlights new and upcoming varieties.
- Sunday, Sept 13th 11:00 pm to 3pm – Rural Vermont Raw Milk Open Farm Day – Farms across the state will be opening their doors and pastures to visitors of all ages. At each stop, guests can tour the farm, meet the animals, and sample the delicious raw milk that will revitalize the micro-dairy in Vermont!
- Tuesday, Sept 15th 6:30 to 8:30pm – Seasonal Foods Potluck and Book Talk/ Signing – Bring a seasonal dish to share with other challenge participants and meet Diane Imrie and Richard Jarmusz, authors of the recently published Cooking Close to Home.
- Wed, Sept 16th 5:30 to 6:30pm Granville, VT – Root Cellar Tour – Are you wondering how you will be able to stick to a mostly local diet during the winter? A root cellar could provide part of that answer! Tour a beautiful root cellar and learn about the principles of storing winter vegetables.
- Thurs, Sept 17th 5 to 7pm Waitsfield, VT – Wild Apple Chutney Social – Learn how to make a delicious apple chutney using wild apples and green tomatoes. The chutney is canned in a boiling water bath so we will also cover canning techniques in this social. Space is limited/registration is required.
- Sat, Sept 19th 9am – 1pm – Waitsfield Farmers Market on the Mad River Green – Listen to live music while you shop for fresh produce, flowers, seedlings, honey, wool, eggs, meat, cheese and other farm products. In addition you can find crafts made in Vermont, baked goods, and prepared foods.
Post-Challenge Locavore Activities
- Sun, Sept 20th 10:30am – Le Tour de Farms – Take a 10, 25 or 30 mile bike ride through Addison Country visiting farms along the way.
- Sun, Sept 20th 3:00 to 7:30pm – Blueberry Jam Dinner Concert – An afternoon of Live Music, Local Food Buffet and a silent Auction all to help with the NOCC’s mission of Ovarian Cancer Awareness and Education. Suggested donation is $10 to $20 and kids are free.
- Wed, Sept 23rd 6 to 7:30pm Huntington, VT – Grass-Fed Meat Social – Come on over the Huntington to meet Beth Whiting and Bruce Hennessey who raise beef, pork, lamb, chicken and turkey. Learn about the benefits of grass-fed meat and what it takes to raise animals that way.
- Wed, Sept 23rd 6:30pm Waitsfield, VT – Annual Harvest Dinner at the Millbrook Restaurant – Enjoy a locally inspired wine dinner where chef Thom takes the best ingredients our farmers have and turns them into a feast. The Pour Boys will be there with their wine insight between courses. Always sells out – reservations required!
- Thurs, Sept 24th 4 to 7pm Waitsfield, VT – Home Creamery Social – Learn how to make butter, yogurt and cheeses at home using local pasteurized milk. Space is limited/registration is required.